Re: [css-text] useful 'hanging-punctuation: last' characters

On 03/28/2015 09:50 AM, Brad Kemper wrote:

>> On Mar 18, 2015, at 10:39 PM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:

>>> I think it depends on author choices, scripts, etc. For instance, Japanese will not want colons to be included.
>>>
>>> I would like properties for finer controls be done in Level 4. fantasai?
>>
>> I'm not sure this is a case for hanging punctuation:
>> you don't want the colon to be in the margin, you
>> still want it to take up space. But you want it to be
>> in a separate "column" in the layout.
>
> I'd be very happy to have it hanging in the right padding,
> actually, so that everything else lined up on the right.
> Or do you mean I wouldn't really get that anyway, due to
> variable kerning, etc. between the colon and the second
> to last letter?

If you have a table of words with 8px gap between each cell,
you don't want the cells that happen to end in a colon to have
a 4ox gap because the colon is in the gap.

You want extra padding corresponding to the colon to be added
to the lines in that cell that don't end in a colon.

~fantasai