[css-page-floats][css-multicol] column-span: <integer> (Was: [css-page-floats] First cleanup)

On 26 Mar 2015, at 00:48, Johannes Wilm <johanneswilm@vivliostyle.com> wrote:

> Hey,
> I have spent the last few weeks looking at the manuals of PrinceXML, the Antennahouse Formatter, Håkon Wium Lie's CSS Figure Spec [1] and have discussed with the Vivliostyle team what they would need from a page float spec.

A bit tangent to what you'd like the review to be about, but you have also removed a bunch of sections which were not about page floats.

When it comes to the removal of "Regions" and "Exclusions", since these were experimental counter proposals to the path the WG is following, I think this was appropriate.

You also removed "column-span: <integer>". While this is arguably the wrong spec to host this, I believe this is actually something that should be preserved. It may have been underspecified, but the concept is sound and useful. (I am a lot less convinced about column-span: page).

I am not sure I can invest the time to be the editor of a new level of multi-col if it should cover more than this addition, but for this specific feature, I can put in the time needed to make sure it is specified properly and to respond to feedback.

Should we restore it to the css-page-floats spec until a more appropriate spec to host it is ready?

Should I start a multi-col level 2 (as a diff spec) for this feature?

 - Florian