Re: [css-multicol][css-sizing] Intrinsic Sizes of Multi-column Elements

On 03/25/2015 03:58 PM, Rossen Atanassov wrote:
> [...]

Yeah, I'm ignoring gaps atm, since it's obvious to include them,
but it complicates the formulas we're discussing. :)

>> col-width only
>>     min = min(col-width, min-content)
>>     max = col-width
>>     Implemented by: Firefox, IE
>>
>>     Rationale:
>>       Widest possible column is column-width*2-ɛ.
>>       But if columns happen to be column-width (as requested),
>>       then any content outside that overflows and is clipped.
>>       It makes sense that the column-width becomes a limit
>>       on the content's size contribution.
>>
>>       The narrowest possible column is zero. If the min-content
>>       is less than the column-width, then we can become that
>>       small.
>
> Almost agree. Having a MAX < MIN looks weird. The same problem
> with gaps missing as the previous.

What makes you think max < min? It's the other way around for sure.

>> col-width + col-count
>>     min = min(col-width, min-content)
>>     max = col-count * col-width
>>     Implemented by: Firefox, IE
>>
>>     Rationale:
>>       The layout as the container gets narrower (fewer columns)
>>       approaches the col-width only case (reduce columns as
>>       width reduces in order to keep each column >= col-width),
>>       so it makes sense to have the same behavior.
>>
>>       The multi-column spec wanted column-width * column-count,
>>       when both were defined, to be the preferred width, and
>>       the implementations reflect this. Authors would probably
>>       prefer that shrink-to-fit sizing landed on this answer
>>       for maxed-out cases as well.
>
> Agree with this one but did drop the column-count from the calculation of min by mistake?

No, because when you have both a col-width and a col-count,
you drop the column counts as the multicol gets narrower.
I.e. below col-count*col-width, a multicol behaves the same
as just having col-width.

> http://codepen.io/anon/pen/ogmQwp
> Also, the same problem about max being less than min as above.
>
>> col-width + height
>>     min = used col-count == 1 ?
>>             min-content : column-width * used column count
>>     max = column-width * used column count
>>     Implemented by: Nobody
>>
>>     Rationale:
>>       Any other answer results in overflow, which no intrinsic
>>       size should ever result in.
>>
>>       Also this case hits a number of real-world use cases,
>>       and they would like the max-content size to be as described.
>
> The rational seems reasonable. Is there a reason we would ignore
> the size of the column in case column-count==1 ? The following
> seems more appropriate to me:
>   min = used col-count == 1 ? min(min-content, column-width)
>         : min(min-content, column-width) * used column count

You mean, just
     min = min(min-content, column-width)
? :)

Since a multicol can get narrower than the column width without
overflowing (which is especially an important consideration on
narrow screens), its intrinsic minimum should reflect that
behavior as well.

~fantasai