Re: [css-flexbox] Understanding flexbox-flex-direction-column.htm

On 03/24/2015 06:26 PM, Christian Biesinger wrote:
> dholbert points out that "content" should be "auto" in this sentence
> of the spec:
>> If the item’s computed flex-basis is definite, or the item’s computed flex-basis is content and its computed main size property is definite
>
> Could someone update the spec? :) Thanks!

Actually, on further reflection, I'm less sure about that. (I think I
mixed this up with another content <--> auto renaming spec-bug which was
actually fixed.)

Stepping back: so, for that testcase to work, the spec needs to
effectively say: "If you have a flex item with an explicit height &
default flex properties, don't let its min-height:auto value resolve to
anything larger than its explicit height."

So in the testcase, biesi linked to, where the div has explicit "height:
38px", the content doesn't matter -- its min-height:auto resolves to (at
most) 38px.

I think the first half of this spec-sentence (RE the item's computed
flex-basis) is trying to cover that case, but it doesn't quite cover it,
because the item's computed flex-basis is actually "auto".  (which means
we "retrieve" the height property and use that for the flex-basis. But
the computed flex-basis is still auto, IIUC.)

~Daniel