Re: [css3-ui] file formats for the cursor property

On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 4:54 AM, Daniel Glazman
> On 18/03/15 07:09, Tantek Çelik wrote:
>
>> Regardless, we CANNOT add a MUST requirement of an aspect (i.e.
>> format) a feature that is defined in a spec which we are unable to
>> normatively reference (lack of open spec), and since there is no open
>> spec for .ico and .cur, we are unable to normatively reference them.
>>
>> This is based on W3C rules for normative references - and we may not
>> even be able to publish an updated draft if we attempt to normatively
>> reference something that violates W3C's referencing policy.
>>
>> It doesn't matter if you or the whole group thinks we should
>> normatively reference a non-open spec - W3C publishing / process will
>> reject it.
>

> That's correct.
>
> But we could at least add an informal note to the spec saying
> that cur and ico are the two interoperable formats implemented by all
> engines at the time of publication of the document

I am in favor of this as it is a factual note.

> and that all new
> implementations are strongly encouraged to implement them too.

I'm not sure about "strongly". Even though it is a note (especially
because it's a note?) I'd still prefer a should, something like.

 New implementations should consider implementing them as well.

> I am then asking Microsoft to provide the WG with authoritative and
> stable URLs containing specification of cur and ico formats we could
> use as informative reference. If there are no such documents, create
> them?

For now I suggest this as informative reference:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICO_%28file_format%29

I'd like to make this edit ASAP, however I heard via IRC that we are
waiting per request from Rossen to hear back from him / Microsoft?

Thanks,

Tantek