Re: [css-writing-modes][CSS21] propagation of 'direction' from <body>

On Tue, 17 Mar 2015 03:26:33 +0100, Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is it only me, I'm lost for what good thing we're doing this
> discussion. I've never heard of single complaints from users nor
> authors not to propagate from body.
>
> I understand sometimes we need to sacrifice web-compat and thus users
> and authors for bigger benefits, but I do not see single benefits in
> this case. Can someone please explain?

The status quo is not interoperable, because 'direction' affects so many
different things in CSS. If the <body> special-case was dealt with in
HTML, it would be more isolated in implementations, and so everything in
CSS would get the desired result.

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software