Re: [css-break][css-overflow-3][css-regions][css4-ui] generalizing 'region-fragment' into a fragmentation primitive: a first step to solving multi-line ellipsis

> On 13 Mar 2015, at 03:16, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Jan 20, 2015, at 2:55 PM, Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net> wrote:
>>
>> The behavior of max-lines is defined in terms of inserting a fragment
>> break after the specified number of lines. Making it apply on non
>> fragmentainers would have unexpected effects if that definition is kept.
>> "p {max-lines:3;}" would not limit p to 3 lines (To do that, use
>> "p {max-lines:3; fragmentation:break;}"). Instead it would insert a page
>> break after 3 lines into the paragraph if you're on paged media, or do
>> nothing on continuous media, etc, which is probably not what the
>> author intended.
>
> I think that on continuous media it should just hide everything after the three lines. It would be like 'overflow: hidden', but clipping the text content where you want, without clipping the background or child elements. That seems like it could be useful sometimes.

I am not sure I follow you about child elements, but otherwise, that's what it does if you combine it with continue:discard [1]. It turns the element into a fragmentainer, so max-lines can apply.

[1] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-overflow/#fragmentation

 - Florian