Re: [css-writing-modes][CSS21] propagation of 'direction' from <body>

On 03/12/2015 10:33 AM, Simon Pieters wrote:

> direction:rtl anywhere, 83,121 pages (~63.94%). This is *way* higher than I expected.

Yes, that's clearly absurd. RTL pages or even mixed-use ones
aren't 64% of the Web. Maybe it's set in some library?

> I'm not sure what to make of this. I suppose the httparchive dataset has a different bias than the data Greg uses. I can see a
> few options for next steps if we want to move this to HTML:
>
> * Someone implements new use-counters/telemetry/etc to gauge the impact.
> * Someone tries to implement and ship dir special-casing in HTML and see what breaks.

Given the existing behavior is noticeably buggy for 'direction' on BODY
anyway, I'm somewhat inclined to do the second thing...

> That said, "doing it in HTML" could mean different things. Is it
> implemented in the HTML parser? Or as part of HTML's
> rendering rules?

I'd either do it in the HTML parser or as part of the directionality
assignment rules:
   http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/dom.html#the-dir-attribute

Not a strong opinion on which one -- whatever's easiest from the HTML perspective.

~fantasai