Re: Suggested Solution for more RTL\LTR Agnostic Web

There was an attempt to do this at a W3C TPAC a while back (2010? not
sure), but it got rejected. Fantasai may remember the exact reasons. But
the part that always bothered me about this was this:

> depending on the direction of the document, the browser should interpret
the start and end accordingly

It does not really make sense to make it dependent on the direction of the
document (i.e. direction of the topmost element): the direction could
change any number of times between the topmost element in the document and
the element with -start or -end property. So, the proposal referred instead
to the direction of the element itself. The problem is that quite often,
that's not what one wants, but the direction of the parent element (when
the two are different). But this is not a hard-and-fast rule. In fact,
what's most useful might depend on the exact property: text-align:start
(which actually made it in and works in all browsers) refers to the
direction of the element itself, while float:start would most probably need
to refer to the parent, and padding-start probably needs to refer to the
element itself, but who knows?