Re: [css-text] pre-wrap and white space processing

On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 5:08 AM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
wrote:

> On 03/09/2015 07:34 PM, Florian Rivoal wrote:
>
>> TL;DR: there is not full interop on what happens to longer-than-the-line
>> sequences of white space under "white-space: pre-wrap", nor is it obvious
>> that there is a single desirable behavior. There's probably 2, both
>> different from what the spec currently says, and I want a switch.
>>
>> === Intro
>> "white-space:pre-wrap;" (or equivalently with level 4 properties
>> "text-space-collapse: preserve; text-wrap: normal;") prevents runs of white
>> space from being collapsed into a single space character. It does so based
>> on the white space processing rules (http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-
>> text-3/#white-space-rules), which state:
>>
>>    If white-space is set to pre-wrap,
>>    any sequence of spaces is treated
>>    as a sequence of non-breaking spaces.
>>    However, a soft wrap opportunity
>>    exists at the end of the sequence.
>>
>> While this generally works, one effect is that a sequence of white space
>> longer than the line will overflow the line, rather than wrap.
>>
>> === Problem number 1:
>> Chrome & Safari do something slightly different. Compare this in
>> IE/Firefox vs Chrome/Safari:
>> http://jsbin.com/hakalu/1/watch?html,css,output
>>
>> All agree that the long sequence of white space should not wrap to the
>> next line. However, only IE & Firefox do what the spec say and let the line
>> overflow. Chrome & Safari truncate excess white space instead of
>> overflowing.
>>
>> While this seems to be a spec violation, it matches the behavior of
>> traditional word processors / rich text editors like MS Word, Apple
>> TextEdit (in rich text mode), LibreOffice, KWrite, Kate... So I wouldn't be
>> to quick to call it a bug.
>>

> This is valid per spec, see
>   http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-text/#white-space-phase-2
>   bullet #4

That text is a bit ambiguous. At first reading I would interpret "visually
collapse their character advance widths" as meaning "set their character
advance widths to zero", but the Webkit/Blink behavior is more like "reduce
their character advance widths to any value >= 0".

Rob
owohooo
oioso
owohooo