Re: [css-text] word-break for Korean

On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 11:36 PM, Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net> wrote:
> So in Bloomberg's case, tagging the content is not an option,
> and this value is needed to get the desired result.

I understood, it's very interesting, so space-based line breaking is
desired for Korean while editing? And they're ok to break between
ideogrpahic characters?

Maybe the better approach is to have lang="auto", and do the content
sniffing; e.g., if the paragraph contains a Hangul character, consider
it a Korean, and enable lang(ko) selector?

On Thu, Mar 5, 2015 at 6:20 AM, Jungshik SHIN (신정식)
<jshin1987+w3@gmail.com> wrote:
>> It's also interesting to me that, what I've been hearing is that the
>> "keep-korean" style is mostly used in traditional style or paper-based
>> documents, while web and news (that have narrower columns) prefer to
>> break. Bloomberg to pick the opposite is very interesting to me.
>
> I wonder where you heard that 'keep-korean' style is widely used
> in traditional or paper-based documents. Of hundreds of Korean
> books in my bookshelves, I can't find a single book which uses
> "line breaking only at space" for the paragraph layout.

Interesting. People who requests keep-all say it's needed because it's
quite often used, but I do understand not all Korean agree with it, so
I admit I have on idea how common, and apologies for writing about
something I have no idea about.

UAX#14 Example 3[1] states that "Space-based layout is common in
magazines and other informal documents with ragged margins, while
books, with both margins justified, use the other type" -- oh, sounds
like I remember the opposite way? Is this still inaccurate?

[1] http://unicode.org/reports/tr14/#Examples

/koji