Re: [CSS3-UI] 'resize' issues 47, 53 - was Re: [CSSWG] Minutes Telecon 2014-12-10

> On 04 Mar 2015, at 06:16, Tantek Çelik <tantek@cs.stanford.edu> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Feb 6, 2015 at 8:00 PM, Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net> wrote:
>>

>> Just so that we have something concrete written down, resolving in favor of this objection (which I agree with) would mean changing to text of the spec to something like this (instead of the text that starts with "When an element is resized by the user", until the example):
>
> <snip> suggested text
>
> I had made simpler edits to address this resolution per what was
> recorded during the f2f, however, I took a look at some of the details
> in the suggested text.
> [...]

Hi Tantek,

Thanks for the rephrasing, I think it is indeed an improvement over what I had written. A few nitpicks:

> The 'resize' property does not apply to generated content, the result is undefined.

If it does not apply, then the result is defined: nothing happens. I think it would be better to say

"The effects of the 'resize' property on the generated content pseudo-elements is undefined."

> +Ignored Terms: style
> [...]
> +in the element’s 'style' attribute DOM,
> [...]
> +that element’s 'style' attribute
> [...]
> +do not reset changes to the 'style' attribute made due to

The bikeshed markup should be <a spec="css-style-attr">style attribute</a>, not 'style', and if you do that, you can drop the Ignored Term.

> The user agent should allow the user to resize the element with no other constraints than what is imposed by min-width, max-width, min-height, and max-height. (at risk since only Firefox currently supports this).

Mirroring what we did with negative values constraints on outline-offset, I'd rather have "must" in the normative prose, together with an "at risk due to interoperability problems, and thus might be dropped from a must to a should."

> The user agent may restrict the resizing range to something suitable, such as between the original formatted size of the element, and large enough to encompass all the element’s contents.

AFAICT, this paragraph contradicts the previous one. Delete it?

 - Florian