Re: [css-text-decor][css-ruby] Underline position for Japanese text with ruby

On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 7:44 AM, Xidorn Quan <quanxunzhen@gmail.com> wrote:

> Masayuki-san mentioned another issue in Twitter:
> https://twitter.com/d_toybox/status/615061112019513344
>
> This does seem to be an issue.
>
> In our current spec, the positions of underline and ruby annotation are:
> * if underline position is right, the underline is put to the right of the
> text content [1]
> * the margin box of rbc and rtc are put without intervening space [2]
>
> This means, if both underline and ruby annotation are specified, and
> author doesn't add any space to either the base or the annotation, the
> underline and annotation may overlap each other in some fonts.
>
> I have no idea how this issue could be solved. If we want to change the
> position of underline, the only option is to move it inwards, which may
> make it overlap with the base text. Hence we cannot do that.

Yeah, that's a tough one. We need to invent something to make a good
compromise, because paper-printed materials solve this issue by relying on
its high DPI, but screens do not have that luxury yet.

Changing position of ruby annotation isn't quite a good option either,
> since it could break interop. But given the interop has already been broken
> due to the height of inline box being UA-defined [3], we probably can do
> something there?
>
> [1] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-text-decor-3/#underline-right
> [2] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-ruby/#ruby-layout
> [3] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2015May/0276.html

I'm leaning not to define the positioning too much in details in this
level, so UA-dependent looks good to me.

/koji