Re: [css-display] feedback on box-suppress

> On Jun 28, 2015, at 3:03 PM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
>
>> On 06/27/2015 04:07 PM, Brad Kemper wrote:
>>
>>> On Jun 27, 2015, at 5:41 AM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> Actually, I suggest calling it 'display-or-not' until someone comes up
>>> with something better.
>>>
>>>  display-or-not: show | discard | hide
>>>
>>> Pretty clear what we mean, but also clear we need a new name. =)
>>
>> I'm still hoping for a value of 'none', so there is more of a tie-in to
>> the old, familiar 'display:none'. That gets used so much, that even
>> 'display-or-not: none' makes for an easy association with that. Although
>> I still prefer 'display-box: none'.
>
> I want people to make a conscious choice between 'discard' and 'hide',
> now that we have a choice.

I'd rather those that don't care about the difference won't have to make that choice. The choice should be "the one I'm used to, that's been in thousands of tutorials, and in every style sheet I've ever written" or "the new one, that's similar but has some different side effects".

I don't think authors should have to try to figure out which value does what they're used to, in order to take advantage of the longhand benefit. If it is the value they are used to for the effect they are used to, then it is a win/win, with very little extra cognitive load.