Re: [CSSWG] [css-cascade] CSS Cascading and Inheritance: Updated L3 CR, FPWD L4

> On Jun 22, 2015, at 1:17 PM, Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net> wrote:
>

>> On 22 Jun 2015, at 21:23, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Jun 20, 2015 at 4:26 AM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
>>> The problem with ua-default or any such thing is that it's only
>>> correct terminology for the effect when it's used in a user-level
>>> style sheet. If it's used in a author- or user-level style sheet,
>>> it does not return the value to the UA default value.
>>
>> I am 100% okay with ua-default being "incorrect" in author-level style
>> sheets.  In practice, it *is* correct 99+% of the time, and when it's
>> not, *the distinction doesn't matter*.  As far as the author is
>> concerned, the user and UA style sheets are part of the same thing -
>> "the styles underneath me".
>>
>> We're never going to provide a value to authors that *does*
>> distinguish between user and UA (it would be user-hostile), so it
>> doesn't actually matter that this is technically pointing to the wrong
>> place in the origin hierarchy.
>
> Right, so I don't object to ua-default. I just don't prefer it. Also, walk to a random css author, and ask what a "UA" is. I don't think it's the best name we can pick. But if that's the one everybody wants, I'll live :)

Those are pretty much my sentiments as well.

'browser-default' would be the most understandable to the most authors (and would help them understand what 'initial' isn't), even though it is even further from being technically accurate.