Re: [css-ui-3] box-sizing: padding-box

On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 12:50 PM, Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net> wrote:
>> On 22 Jun 2015, at 21:40, Jonathan Kingston <jonathan@jooped.com> wrote:
>>
>> However could I ask if there was a reason margin-box was never considered?
>
> It was considered. I've been through the archives of the www-style recently, and there were about 2 or 3 discussions during the last 15 years on this topic.
>
> The conclusion was that it was possible, but that there was not enough demand / not enough use cases to
> justify specifying, writing tests, implementing, etc...

Importantly, margin-collapsing makes it very unclear exactly what the
bounds of your margin box are.  Solving this is tricky, and unlikely
to always (or even often) be what is wanted.

Also, margins have 'auto', which complicates things.  Border/padding
are always lengths/percentages, much simpler.

~TJ