Re: : [css-snappoints] elements and nested scrollers

> On Jun 16, 2015, at 5:21 AM, Majid Valipour <majidvp@chromium.org> wrote:
>
> I think what Robert is suggests prevents snap points crossing scroller boundaries (with the exception of overflow: hidden). However it is important to also avoid element snap offsets to cause unintended scrollers to suddenly snap. This can be resolved by separating snap point's contribution vs snapping.
>
> How about:
> -  contribution: element contributes a snap position to the nearest ancestor whose overflow-x is "auto" or "scroll".
> -  snapping: a scroller snaps to its contributed snap points only when it has 'scroll-snap-position: elements'
>
> In effect, a scroller may capture snap points but not snap to them unless explicitly declared.
>
> Also, it makes sense to have  horizontal and vertical snap offsets to be contributed separately. However this needs the followings to work well:
> 1. Scrollers to declare snap-type individually for each axis (I know that Firefox implements this so I imagine this have already been discussed but missing in the spec.)
>  2. Elements to declare snap points individually for each axis (e.g., scroll-snap-coordinate-{x,y}). At the moment snap coordinates are <position> so they always contribute vertical and horizontal values which is unfortunate.
>
> Here is an example to show the above:

> intermediate: receives A vertical and horizontal snap offsets but *does not* snap to it.
> intermediate-hidden: does not capture any snap offsets.
> horizontal-outer: receives B horizontal snap offset and snaps to it.
> vertical-outer: receives B and C vertical snap offset but *does not* snap to it.

I like this.

However, I think there’s one issue we need to decide soon. If we treat X and Y snap point lists as independent, even when using ‘elements’, then you can only ever have a complete grid of snap points (snap point at every intersection of an X value and a Y value). The spec isn’t totally clear, but it seems that the current behavior with scroll-snap-coordinates is that it allows a partial grid (set of specific X,Y coordinates based on element positions).

The “partial grid” behavior is interesting, but problematic when scrolling: a vertical scroll could yank you sideways to go to nearby snap point. So I’m not sure we want to do this.

Simon