Re: [css-style-attr] "list-style-type: hebrew;" not working properly

On Tue, Jun 2, 2015 at 1:45 PM, Xidorn Quan <quanxunzhen@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2015年6月3日 上午3:42于 "Arnon Erez" <puremind0@gmail.com>写道:
>> I've recently encountered this question on stackoverflow.
>> It seems that whenever the list item is numbered with more than 1 letter
>> (e.g 11=יא) the result is reversed (אי).
>>
>> This effect cannot be changed with other css attributes such as direction
>> or text-align so I assume it's originating from the implementation of
>> "list-style-type: hebrew;"
>
> This is bug of Blink (Chrome) and, probably also WebKit (Safari), they don't
> handle RTL text in counters correctly. Gecko (Firefox) does't have this bug.
> You can see the expected result on Firefox.
>
>> I couldn't find any mention of this problem anywhere (except for another
>> post by the same person on another website).
>
> As I mentioned, this is a impl bug in Blink. IIRC, the spec does mention
> that the direction should be respected (in CSS Counter Styles or CSS Lists).
> You should just file a bug to them instead of posting here.

Yes, this is a Blink impl bug.    The spec clearly describes how to
construct the counter properly, and has properly-ordered examples.
For example, in the opening of the section the "98, 99, 100" part of
the hebrew example has the correct visible digit ordering, with the
"8" and "9" digits to the left and the "90" digit to the right.

The stylesheet below *appears* to have the wrong ordering, in the
comment using the real characters rather than the escapes, but that's
only because the stylesheet has an explicit ltr override on it, so the
source code doesn't get visually messed up.  IDEs will generally not
do bidi, with good reason, and the stylesheet reflects that.

~TJ