Re: [css-page-floats] order of page float placement

Another question: Float need to be placed in a specific order in order to
give predictable results. The question is what order that should be.

Easy to formulate would be:

A) The order they appear in in the DOM.

B) Page floats with float references at a higher level in the DOM are
placed before those at a lower level. Page floats whose float references
are not descendants of one-another are placed in the order they appear in
the DOM.

C) First page floats are placed in the order they appear in the DOM, then
column/region floats are placed in the order they appear in the DOM.

The spec currently specifies behavior C. It originally said A, which could
have the effect that top page floats would be floated underneath top column
floats if they appeared later in the DOM.

B would be even better, but also a lot more complex, as region fragments
can be descendants of different regions and columns, so one couldn't
determine a clear hierarchical relation between them.

C seems to take care of the most obvious problem of page/column floats, but
I am not sure if this is good enough for columns/regions that are
descendants of oneanother.

--
Johannes Wilm
http://www.johanneswilm.org