Re: [css-flexbox] [css-align] inconsistent computed value for align-self: auto

On Thu, Jul 23, 2015 at 4:59 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 23, 2015 at 11:08 AM, fantasai
> <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
>> On 07/23/2015 11:47 AM, Christian Biesinger wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> I noticed a difference in the definition of the computed value for
>>> align-self: auto
>>>
>>> Flexbox says:
>>> https://drafts.csswg.org/css-flexbox/#align-items-property
>>> Computed value: auto computes to parent’s align-items value; otherwise
>>> as specified
>>>
>>> Align says:
>>> The auto keyword computes to itself on absolutely-positioned elements
>>> [...]
>>> https://drafts.csswg.org/css-align/#justify-self-property (referenced
>>> by align-self:
>>> https://drafts.csswg.org/css-align/#align-self-property )
>>>
>>> This difference matters, because that means that for flexbox,
>>> align-self will compute to stretch by default and therefore stretch an
>>> abspos item. Whereas for align, it will compute to auto and not
>>> stretch.
>>>
>>> Could we change flexbox to match align?
>>

>> An abspos item isn't really a flex item... but anyway, css-align
>> supersedes Flexbox. However, if you don't support the application of
>> alignment properties to absposes (as defined in css-align), then the
>> computed value doesn't really matter at all.
>>
>> (We need people to review the css-align definition of how alignment
>> properties apply to abspos. Nobody has except me and Tab, and that's
>> a bit scary.)
>

> As Elika says, Align supercedes Flexbox.  If you're implementing
> Flexbox's definition of the property, it doesn't apply to abspos.  If
> it does, you're implementing Align's version, so it should have
> Align's initial value.

Huh? That's not what the spec says --
https://drafts.csswg.org/css-flexbox/#abspos-items has the align
properties apply to abspos children of a flexbox.

(As an aside, I think the note should say align-self instead of align-content)

-christian