Re: [selectors4] Previous-sibling selector (was: Features to Defer)

On Tue, Jul 21, 2015 at 3:20 PM, Marat Tanalin <mtanalin@yandex.ru> wrote:
> 21.07.2015, 23:33, "fantasai" <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>:
>>  Prompted by plh, Tab and I just went over the Selectors 4 spec,
>>  to figure out what's ready to polish up and send to CR and what
>>  looks like it should stay in WD. Here's a list of what we propose
>>  to keep and defer:
>
> What about ability to select previous sibling? (Like existing `+` combinator, but for previous sibling.)
>
> When it has been proposed to add previous-sibling combinator [1], Tab said that the feature is already covered by the more universal subject indicator [2] in conjunction with `:matches()` or by `:has()`.
>
> Then subject indicator has been dropped [3] in favor of `:has()`.
>
> But `:has()` was/became available only in fast/static profile (i.e. JS-only).
>
> Then Tab said that the WG is probably going to make `:has()` available in complete/dynamic profile with some restrictions (probably limitation of using only simple selectors inside `:has()`) [4].
>
> Now the Selectors spec is close to be finalized, and `:has()` is at risk to be postponed.

"Postponed" means "put into the Selectors 5 ED, so Selectors 4 can go
to CR".  We're just taking the subset of Selectors 4 that is ready for
CR, chopping it out, and upping the level on the rest.  It does not
materially change its status.

> So what about previous-sibling selector (exactly previous-sibling selector unlike complicated universal things like `:has()`)?

We have only had a few discussions on doing limited-function versions
of :has().  Previous-sibling (and parent) is on the table there, don't
worry.  Whether we still do it as a limited :has() grammar, or a more
specialized pseudo-class, is up in the air at the moment.