Re: [css-round-display][css-shapes] Request for first review the css-round-display

> On Jul 20, 2015, at 3:48 PM, Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com> wrote:
>
>> Then, what do you think about adding a new value (e.g., 'shape') to the
>> border-boundary property to draw the border of an element according to
>> the value of its shape-inside property?

I think I would call that, ’shape-border’, as a corollary of ’shape-padding’.

> We should probably add two keywords: shape-outside and shape-inside.

Or… ’shape-inner-border’ and ’shape-outer-border’

> But shape-inside sets the contours of the content area, and normally I’d
> expect the border would be drawn out from the shape-inside edge (so the
> border doesn’t collide with the content). For the round display case I
> think you want the shape-inside to define the edges of the display, so
> you’d want the border to be drawn from the shape-inside edge inward. In
> this case the content area should be further reduced to account for the
> border. I’m not sure how to reconcile these two cases.

It seems reasonable for ‘shape-inner-border’ to be drawn between the inner shape edge and the ’shape-padding’ [1], so that each pushed the content inward. Thus, no collisions between shape and content. ’shape-outer-border’ would be drawn between the outer shape edge and the ’shape-margin’. Best of both worlds. Bonus: for rectangles, rounded-corner rectangles, and ellipses (using border-radius), that would give us three different borders to style! Four, if you count ‘outline’. :)

By the way, what if ’shape-inside’ were to define the shape of the padding-box instead of the content-box? You could do it kind of reasonably, if ’shape-padding:auto’ was an initial value that meant it matched the value of ‘padding’. If there was more than one padding value (different values for ‘padding-top’, padding-right’, etc.), then maybe it matches the padding of the side with the largest padding value or something.

1) http://drafts.csswg.org/css-shapes-2/#shape-padding-property