Re: [css-fonts] "system" generic font name

There has been a fair amount of discussion here, and I thought some clarification would be valuable.

The goal is to let authors say -font-family: system, foo, bar, baz; and to have that fit the overall UI aesthetic of the platform they are viewing on. In addition, a goal is to let authors choose their own weights and other styles to apply to this system UI font.

It sounds like iOS, Android, OS X, and Windows all have a straightforward choice of which font this corresponds to.

There are keywords which the "font" shorthand accepts, however, these don't play nicely with fallback and they also specify a particular size, weight, style, etc., which isn't the goal of this proposal. (Yes, you can override the additional style with subsequent rules, but a cleaner approach is valuable here.) In addition, web authors commonly use font-face with generic font families, so this approach fits in well with the existing practice.

Leaving the font unspecified doesn't work because it lets the browser choose a default font for body content, which is very different than a font for UI content.

Other proposals are perhaps valuable, but this proposal, in particular, is only about font-family.