Re: [selectors4] no way to select visible children

On Jul 20, 2015 17:38, "Benjamin Poulain" <benjamin@webkit.org> wrote:

> On 7/20/15 5:28 PM, Brad Kemper wrote:
>
>>> On Jul 20, 2015, at 4:13 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
wrote:

>>> The element() function is not handled in the middle of style
>>> resolution, nor does it involve looping back and forth between
>>> selector application and style resolution.
>>

>> But we do have :hover that is kind of like that.
>>
>> a:hover { display: none; }
>

> That is a great example of mistakes we should try to avoid in the future
:)

> Looping over :hover can be ridiculously expensive and it is never
providing a good user experience.

Also, :hover's loop gets all the way out to user gesture handling. It's not
a tight loop inside of style resolution, or in style+selectors.

But yeah, citing a clearly terrible result doesn't help much in arguing the
point. 😀

~TJ