Re: [css-shapes] Extending shape-outside to in-flow elements

On 7/20/15, 3:22 PM, "fantasai" <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:

>I had a discussion with Jen Simmons last week where she was trying
>to float circles around circles, and it occurred to me that maybe
>shape-outside should also apply to in-flow elements. It would control
>their interaction with floats.
>
>Specifically it would apply to
>   * block-level boxes that establish formatting contexts
>   * maybe also to inline-level boxes?
>
>Thoughts?

I think it’s a difficult problem to solve for the general case. We
specified that float stacking does NOT use the shape-outside contours
because we did not have a performant algorithm for floating shapes around
shapes.

If another implementer finds a performant way of allowing float stacking
to use the shape-outside contours, we could change the spec to allow it.
Then we could float circles around circles without needing to extend
shape-outside to non-floats, and/or do the extensions above if that’s
deemed desirable. But doing the shape-on-shape layout with the extensions
above but disallowing it for float stacking seems weird to me.

Thanks,

Alan