Re: [css-grid] Auto-placement and named lines

On Sun, Jun 28, 2015 at 9:40 AM, Emil Björklund
<bjorklund.emil@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have some feedback regarding the automatic placement algorithm in Grid
> Layout. Apologies if this has already been discussed & rejected – I tried
> searching the archives.
>
> When I started playing around with grids & automatic placement, I really
> liked the fact that you could specify a span without that giving the item a
> definite placement on the grid. I was thrilled to learn of named grid lines,
> and that spans can be across specific names. The one thing I feel is missing
> is to constrain the automatic placement to not just span across named lines
> but also *only start at specific names*.

I agree with Manuel that this sounds like a useful feature, and we
should probably address it at some point.

However, this seems like a relatively low-priority feature, and
there's no issue with adding it in the future, so I'd like to defer it
to Grid 2.  I've tracked it in
<https://wiki.csswg.org/spec/css-grid-2>.