Re: [css-grid] Using automatic (instead of min-content) minimums for 'auto' tracks

On 07/08/2015 04:45 AM, Sergio Villar Senin wrote:

> Actually I think there was a copy&paste error :) as I miss a sentence
> which is present in the flexbox spec just after talking about "content
> size" which is the following:
>
> "Otherwise, this keyword computes to 0 (unless otherwise defined by a
> future specification)."
>
> Perhaps we don't need the text in parentheses as that applies to
> anything right? :P

We didn't add this sentence to the Grid spec, because this section
in the grid spec is only defining its effect on grid items -- whereas
the Flexbox spec was redefining min-width/height generally to add
the auto keyword.

The text in parentheses is there to make it clearer that we expect
future specs to hook into this, and implementers should not depend
on it being zero for all layout modes indefinitely. E.g. we might
expand it to apply to table elements, allowing them to actually
shrink past their min-content size for once.

~fantasai