Re: [css-containment][css-display] Layout containment on display: contents and display: run-in

On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 11:52 AM, Kyle Zentner <kzentner@mozilla.com> wrote:
> Hi www-style,
>
> I'm implementing 'contain: layout' in Gecko right now. One of my test cases
> set 'display: contents' on a 'contain: layout' element.
>
> I don't see any obvious way for this to work. What should happen in this
> case?

It doesn't generate a box, so 'contain' has nothing to apply to.

> Similarly, it's not clear how 'contain: layout' should be applied to a
> 'display: run-in' element, since its layout depends on whether it contains a
> block.

This sounds like it's about the legacy kinda-nonsensical definition of
run-in that 2.1 used to define.  The current definition, in Display,
has nothing to do with the run-in's contents.  (Except that it'll
usually inlinify its contents.)

> Should FCification take care of these cases? If so, how?

Yes, FCification will occur, turning it from "flow" into "flow-root"
(like an inline-block).  This hasn't been written yet, but fantasai
brought it up a few days ago in another thread.