Re: [css-fonts] "system" generic font name

Dean Jackson composed on 2015-07-15 08:32 (UTC+1000):

>> Henrik Andersson wrote:

>> This would be horribly ambiguous. Many, many, many, systems have more
>> than one font.

> Do they have more than one UI font family?

> FWIW, we currently have "-apple-system". During internal discussions, I
> suggested keeping this name around in case someone wanted to only use the
> system font on Apple systems because they did not like the system font on
> other systems, where they would provide a fallback.

> e.g. font-family: -apple-system,
> MyCustomFontThatILikeBetterThanEverythingElse;

> But we figured this was a pretty small edge case, and that it would
> require other vendors to implement "-apple-system" for their browsers on
> Apple systems.

Maybe the better goal would be user's favorite font, by whatever name could
be determined. I'd certainly like to see more of my favorite without having
to disable all author choice of fonts on web pages. With "System" already in
use in the spec for font shorthand, it would seem a poor choice for any other
usage.

> So "system" as a font-family seems like a pretty good compromise. It seems
> this will cover Android (Roboto) and Debian (DejaVu Sans). Does Windows
> use a different family for different types of controls? Other platforms?

In IE11 on Win7 there seems to be only one on
http://fm.no-ip.com/Auth/Font/fonts-system.html though small-caption does
seem to be slightly smaller at 96 DPI at least. All x86 Linux distros I've
tried the page on with Geckos and KHTML use the same family for all 6 CSS
system fonts.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/