Re: [css-logical-props] additional logical values for caption-side

Le 2015-07-04 13:19, L. David Baron a écrit :
> On Saturday 2015-07-04 00:33 -0400, Gérard Talbot wrote:
>> I have no idea what 'top-outside' and 'bottom-outside' (and their
>> logical
>> correspondent: 'block-start-outside' and 'block-end-outside') mean or
>> refer
>> to; as far as I can see, they behave just like top and bottom. Could
>> you
>> provide me a link to a document that explains 'top-outside' and
>> 'bottom-outside' values and I'd be happy to include those values in my
>> tests.
>>
>> There is no documentation about 'top-outside' and 'bottom-outside'
>> values at
>>
>> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/caption-side
>
> They do roughly what 'top' and 'bottom' did in CSS 2.0 (rather than
> 2.1), but with some corrections.  The main difference is the width
> of the caption being largely independent of the width of the table,
> and resulting changes in the horizontal alignment of the caption and
> table.  (There might also be differences on whether the left/right
> margins of the caption are inside the table's left/right margin.)

Firefox used to allow horizontal alignment of the caption outside the
table box and inside the table's left/right margin.

If you use an old Firefox version with this demo

http://www.gtalbot.org/DHTMLSection/DynamicTableFormatting.html

Firefox will dynamically allow horizontal alignment of the caption
outside the table box and inside the table's left/right margin.

> The working group resolved to add them to CSS in:
> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-css-wg/2005AprJun/0139.html
> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-css-wg/2005AprJun/0144.html
> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-css-wg/2005AprJun/att-0149/css-mins-20050601.htm

Those 2005 archived pages are under a Member Authorization requirement:
"The member-only section of the W3C website is not publicly viewable.
Password authorization is needed for access to the W3C Member Site."

> to resolve Issue #182 in:
> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css2/issues/issues-2

There is not much explanation in Issue #182; just a very brief mention.

> as is noted in:
> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css2/tables.html#propdef-caption-side

Same thing here.

Gérard