Re: [css-text-decor][css-ruby] Underline position for Japanese text with ruby

On Tue, Jun 30, 2015 at 7:48 AM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
> On 06/28/2015 06:44 PM, Xidorn Quan wrote:
>> [snip]
>>
>> Changing position of ruby annotation isn't quite a good option either,
>> since it could break interop. But given the interop has
>> already been broken due to the height of inline box being UA-defined [3],
>> we probably can do something there?
>
> Well, text-decoration is defined not to affect layout, so we can't *add*
> space.

Right, but UA could preserve spaces always, or offset in paint time
and overflow if that's more appropriate. I mean, I'm not suggesting
that's good, but there are several options when Xidorn said "can do
something".

Note that Masayuki is right if he's looking at digital books today.
Because "text-underline-position" is not implemented widely yet, and
because it defaults to "left" (Chinese), and because of how
Blink/WebKit renders CJK underlines today, most EPUB authors I know
choose "border-right" instead. Common Japanese vertical CSS includes,
for instance:

a {
  text-decoration:none;
  border-right:thin solid;
}

This should result in what Masayuki illustrated when the text contains ruby.

I interpret this as an indication of rendering that way is less bad
than other issues.

/koji