Re: Wide Color Gamut and High Dynamic Range displays

On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 4:08 PM, Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Browsers *do* handle wide-gamut images, when they're appropriately
>> tagged and going straight to the screen.
>
> Can you give an example where that is happening?
> It would be odd to have part of a document displayed with a different
> profile.

No, because I have neither a wide-gamut monitor nor any wide-gamut
images, so I've no way to tell if any example I draw up would actually
work.

But, per previous conversations with Noel on our Sydney team, we do
indeed send wide-gamut images through to the monitor when they're not
being composited with anything else.

>> And we (Chrome) are working
>> on making it composite properly, too, though that's difficult.
>
> Yes, the only way to do this would be to composite the whole page in a
> difference colorspace which requires a lot of transformations of the sRGB
> elements.
> I believe only Apple has the framework in place to support this.

Yeah, like I said, we're working on it.  It involves either clever
tricks, or blowing up the size of images in texture memory, or both.