Re: [css-sizing] Definition of preferred content

On 01/25/2015 02:16 AM, L. David Baron wrote:
> On Friday 2015-01-23 19:36 -0500, fantasai wrote:

>>> Really?  In
>>> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-css-wg/2007OctDec/0267.html
>>> we resolved to rename the concept there to max-content.
>>
>> We did. And then we realized there are two very similar concepts
>> that are identical except for multi-col elements.
>>
>> preferred-size for a multicol with both column-width and column-count
>> is column-width*column-count. However its max-content size can be
>> larger than that, since the column-width functions as a minimum and
>> will grow as the container grows.
>
> Are there really strong enough use cases for authors wanting both of
> these sizing models for multicol to justify having two separate
> concepts throughout specifications and implementations and two
> separate concepts to expose to authors?
>
> I'd rather we just picked one of the two behaviors for multicol.

Started thread at
   https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2015Jan/0486.html

I think we really only need to expose one (preferred sizing), but
the layout specs need to keep in mind that both concepts exist and
the other one could be the result of some layout operations.

~fantasai