Re: [css-grid] auto-placement algorithm step 2 doesnt' respect sparse/dense/stack choice

On 16/09/14 19:44, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> In another thread, Manuel Casasnovas points out that step 2 of the
> auto-placement algorithm (which processes items with a definite row
> position but auto column position) doesn't vary its behavior based on
> the algorithm specified in 'grid-auto-flow'.  Interestingly, it
> actually does a "dense" packing, as it repeatedly looks for the
> "earliest" spot in the row that the item will fit in.  (This makes
> sense, as it's the easiest way to implement it; doing a sparse packing
> would require more work, and wouldn't even maintain the ordering that
> is the entire justification for sparse packing.)
>
> Should we have this step pay attention to the algorithm, or leave it
> as it is?  I'm inclined to leave it as it is.

I've just realized that at the end this has been changed [1] in the spec:
http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-grid/#auto-placement-algo

I wanted to point out that this makes the implementation more
complicated, as you need to keep one cursor for each row and column, in
order to be able to have a "sparse" behavior per track.

Are we completely sure about this change?
Sorry, but I didn't find the discussion related to this.

Thanks,
  Rego

[1] https://hg.csswg.org/drafts/rev/286fa515362d