Re: [css-ruby] Rule of line breaking between ruby bases

On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 11:47 PM, Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you for asking and giving me a chance to discuss, as always.
>
> TL;DR; could you handle one ruby container as one ideographic character?
>
> While you're right that non-CJK characters as bases is rare, closing
> characters such as comma or close parenthesis next to ruby is quite
> common, and I do not want to break there. Does this sound reasonable
> to implement?

Yes, fairly reasonable.

> Actually, when I was working on an e-reader platform a few years ago,
> this was considered as a blocker and we needed to workaround. Thought
> it was fixed then, it's unfortunate to know it's not fixed yet.
>
> I then thought to handle it as U+FFFC Object Replacement Character,
> just like what we do for text-combine-horizontal, but then I remember
> a recent change to CSS Text Level 3, 5.1 Line Breaking Details[1]
> defines to put a soft wrap opportunity before and after U+FFFC. This
> is a different rule from UAX#9, but had to do for web-compatibility.
>
> That said, currently text-combine-horizontal is also broken, and no
> way to save line breaking for image-based characters. I'll send a
> separate thread on this, and probably ruby should be handled the same
> way as whatever we conclude for text-combine-horizontal.
>
> If you can wait for its conclusion, that's great. If you're in hurry,
> I suppose we should conclude to one of any ideographic characters
> (such as U+4E00 or U+6C34 (one we chose for the height of
> text-combine) or something like that, they're equivalent from line
> breaking purposes.)

I guess it is probably not a good idea to handle a ruby as one single
character, because I suspect that punctuations may sometimes be inside ruby
for some reasons.

I'm now implementing what the current spec requires, which uses the normal
line-breaking rules for base text.

- Xidorn