Re: CSS Localization

On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 1:45 PM, Sylvain Galineau <galineau@adobe.com> wrote:
> Tab Atkins said:
>>Reiterating my earlier point, if the *users* are giving some explicit
>>instruction, it's much more effective for them to give it to the
>>browser itself, so the browser can apply their wishes to *all* pages,
>>not just those who went to the trouble of setting everything up
>>correctly.
>
> Though I violently agree with the principle, I once saw data suggesting
> the number of end-users who are comfortable discovering and tweaking
> browser preferences to be pretty low, fwiw. (Many people have no idea
> their default search engine is something they can change, to take a
> popular example). I’m not suggesting giving an API is the better anwer
> here; but shoving things in browser config is not as obvious a win as it
> seems.

Oh, I completely agree that users don't tweak browser config.
Luckily, the locale from their OS is usually right for them, or at
least usable.

(Users definitely don't manually tweak their Accept-Language headers,
or the inputs that go into them, either.  That comes from the locale
for nearly everyone.)