Re: [css-ruby] collapse ruby-position values

On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 2:42 AM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
wrote:

> On 09/23/2014 09:44 AM, Glenn Adams wrote:
>

>> On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 5:04 AM, Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp
>> <mailto:kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp>> wrote:
>>
>>     > Since text can't be both horizontal and vertical WM at the same
>> time, then what is the meaning of specifying both?
>>
>>     It allows having this property in the root of the document, or in the
>> UA default stylesheet, using lang selector, and it’d
>>     do the right thing regardless of the writing modes.
>>

>> ok, but let me ask a follow up question, would you expect to see use of
>> the
>> combinations "over left" or "under right"?
>>

> I've a vague recollection that "under right" was used for PRC Chinese.
> Could be that's just for emphasis dots, though, whose syntax we wanted
> to match:
>   http://www.w3.org/TR/css-text-decor-3/#text-emphasis-position-property
>
> We can adjust the grammar to allow just "over" and "under" on their own,
> if that's easier, but we are definitely are not using "before" and "after".

Do you have any use case of ruby annotation with the combination "over
left" or "under right"? I don't see any relevant use case in our use cases
document [1], and a handbook from Taiwan [2] doesn't show any use cases
like that, either. Hence I wonder if there is really any use case for those
combinations. If you do have use cases, I guess it's probably better to put
it somewhere as a reference.

In addition, even if there are use cases, I guess it is not common enough
for us to have specific grammar for them. I think it is better to leave
those uncommon cases with a slightly more complicated stylesheet, but make
the common cases happy. Because at least, people have to use stylesheet to
change the writing mode of a piece of text. They can simply change
ruby-position in addition when they do that, if it is truly necessary.

And at very least, I think we should make the grammar allow only one value.
In addition, maybe we could also allow start and end, and let them be
computed to the pairs according to writing mode. When I test my ruby code,
it has been really annoying to have to always write a pair of values even
when I only want one of them.

- Xidorn

[1]: http://www.w3.org/International/docs/ruby/
[2]: