Re: [css-ui] text-overflow in overflow:visible blocks

On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 7:51 AM, Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net> wrote:
> As currently specified, we are in a somewhat strange situation.
>
> If a line is long enough to overflow a float, but not long enough to overflow its block container, setting 'overflow' to something else than visible does not affect it. However, if you wish to use text-overflow to get rid of overlapping text between the line and the float and get an ellipsis instead, you need to set 'overflow' to something else than visible.
>
> Allowing text-overflow to apply even when overflow is visible would make this strange situation sane again (assuming we are ok with the ellipsed text not being accessible by scrolling), which would be ideal as far as I am concerned. Can we do this, or are we stuck due to web-compat problems?
>
> If we can't, do we prefer to stay in the intermediary situation we're in now, or prefer to revert to the previously specced text, as currently implemented in all but webkit/blink browsers?

I'm not sure I understand.  Looking at the current spec, and the
rendering in Chrome and Firefox, setting overflow:hidden on a float
does have an effect, and text-overflow depends on that.  I don't
understand how what you're saying in this email applies to either the
spec or current implementations.