Re: CSS Localization

On Sat, Jan 10, 2015 at 5:09 PM, Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net> wrote:

> * Cameron Jones wrote:
> >The implementation of localization within browsers uses the platform
> locale
> >for any localization of pages. This leaves no potential for configuring
> >localization either to enable a locale override or to enable multilingual
> >documents to exist.
>
> It would be terribly confusing if some parts of an en-us page would use
> en-gb or even de-de formatting without extremely clear indication, so
> this sounds rather unlikely to me. As a user I would not even know what
> any given browser installation considers my "platform locale" to be. If
> I visit a en-us page in a en-us browser set to prefer en-gb content on a
> de-de Windows system, it'd be rather unpredictable how to inrerpret any
> possibly localised content.

I think this is why the status quo has been to use the platform locale by
default. This provides the most consistent user experience across all pages
for
default OS and browser installations.

In your example, because you had set the browser locale to en-gb all
localization would use that setting. That seems rational to me.

I'm not expecting the status quo to change and for web sites to all start
overriding the platform locale to create confusing experiences - but in the
case where a user wants to view a specific page in different locale i think
that
sites should be able to use the same HTML content consisting of form
inputs and <time>, etc.

The scope for a confusing user experience would be limited to explicit code
on
individual sites - so they would have created the problem themselves.

Thanks,
Cameron