Re: [css-text] Preventing typographic orphans

Btw, it should be mentioned that the need for this is strong enough that print formatters have been adding proprietary properties for this. For example, [1] is the Antennahouse version.

On Jan 4, 2015, at 03:13, Zack Weinberg <zackw@panix.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure "insert nonbreaking spaces as necessary" is such a
> terrible answer, honestly.  TeX expects you to do just that,

Since when is TeX a good example to follow?! Styling in TeX is a total mess.

> so
> more-sophisticated yet language-blind algorithms aren't going to help
> by themselves. And it seems to me that even with language-sensitive
> word-wrapping rules it would be very difficult to get an 100%
> automated solution.

Correct me if I’m mistaken but I believe that the aesthetic rule about last line length is true regardless of language, it’s just that separate languages have *additional* rules.

~Lea

[1]: http://www.antennahouse.com/xslfo/axf5-extension.htm#axf.avoid-widow-words