Re: [css-text] Preventing typographic orphans

On Sun, Jan 4, 2015 at 4:48 PM, Sebastian Zartner <
sebastianzartner@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5 January 2015 at 00:25, Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com> wrote:
> > There are both stylistic and semantic reasons that pertain to last line
> > break and content. It is not one or the other in general. CSS should
> > probably support the necessary properties to effect the stylistic
> > requirements. Whether it should go as far as specifying language specific
> > behavior is doubtful.
>
> Stylistic use cases for influencing the last line break still should
> consider the semantic reasons. While CSS may not define language
> specific behavior, it may at least mention that UAs should consider
> semantic rules for line wrapping.

It already does [1]. Sort of. XSL-FO is somewhat more explicit [2][3].

[1] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-text-3/#line-breaking
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-xsl-20011015/slice7.html#language
[3] http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-xsl-20011015/slice7.html#xml:lang