Re: [css3-ui] questioning "ellipsis may occur at a text wrap opportunity" (Issue 76)

[Adding Hyatt]

> On 28 Feb 2015, at 12:01 am, Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net> wrote:

>>> I do remember Dean speaking about this, but I think he was saying this is something they would support, not something they already did. Dean, did I misunderstand?
>>
>> You're right Florian. We don't support this, but would like to.
>
> I'll explore this in css4-ui, which I plan to start any time now.
>
>> We do have a proprietary property for going to ellipsis after a given number of lines, but that doesn't control the intra-line placing of the ellipsis.
>
> Are you referring to  -webkit-line-clamp? I'd love to pick your brain (or the relevant brain, if it isn't yours) to better understand what works well and what doesn't with what you currently have, to inform the design of a standard replacement.

Yes. Our current implementation doesn't work terribly well in all cases. I think I mentioned some of them at the f2f meeting, but the most common issues are:

A. You don't always want to clamp at the end of the line. e.g.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit,
sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna
aliqua. Ut enim ad minim…

That often looks better than this, which appears more like
a complete paragraph:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit,
sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna
aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation…

B. You want a way to include some generated content after
the ellipsis. e.g.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit,
sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna
aliqua. Ut enim ad minim…  *More*

(where *More* is in a different style).

That way you could listen for a click and expand the block.

> We'd probably welcome any standardization of features in this area.
>
> That's something I'm looking into. See the thread that starts here for some idea of where I'm headed:
> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2015Jan/0357.html
>
> Expect some first steps in this direction to land in css-overflow soon.

Great. Hopefully Hyatt will have more comments.

Dean