Re: element existence selector

Thanks Tab, now you find exacly what I was looking for (!)...
Well, let's confirm it, with another words,

 1* you are  referring to the  "4.4. The Relational Pseudo-class *:has()*
<http://dev.w3.org/csswg/selectors-4/#relational>";
 2* what I need is to use *:has()* as a root's condition, like
*html:has(#id1)*;
 3* the samantic of "*a:has(b) c*" is "if *b* then selects *c*";
 4* the semantic of "*html:has(#id1):hover #id2*" is "when on-mouse-over
*#id1*, selects *#id2*";

is it? assuming we agree until here, about this 4 assertions...
And perhaps I understand  when you say "(...) too slow, and makes
invalidating styles too difficult",
but now imagine a more specific selector, a *:has()* that can be used only
with IDs,

    *:hasID() *

so, why  "*html:hasID(#id1):hover #id2*"  will be slow? What the validation
problem?

Perhaps this ID constraints "put in rails" my suggestion:
you see some parsing or validation problem with this hypothetical
*:hasID()*?

Krauss