Re: Clarifying elementsFromPoint and pointer-events: none

On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 1:40 PM, Philip Rogers <pdr@google.com> wrote:
> www-style,
>
> The elementsFromPoint (plural) spec [1] is ambiguous about whether elements
> with pointer-events: none should be returned. Can we update the spec to
> explicitly allow pointer-events: none elements?
>
> I think it makes sense to return all elements and have this be a
> general-purpose API. I spoke with a front-end developer on the polymer team
> and they agreed because typical usecases already need to filter out unwanted
> elements. The IE team may have come to the same conclusion as
> msElementsFromPoint also includes pointer-events: none elements.
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/cssom-view/#extensions-to-the-document-interface

Does this mean that the pointer-events values other than normal|none
also have no effect, and elementsFromPoint always pretends the value
is "auto"?  This only applies to SVG elements, but still.

I can see the point of that, but I can also see it being useful for it
to match elements that you'd actually hit-test against.  Maybe a flag?