Re: [css-ruby] Conflict with HTML5 spec

On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 8:10 AM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
wrote:

> On 02/23/2015 05:18 AM, Xidorn Quan wrote:
>
>  On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 8:42 AM, Xidorn Quan <quanxunzhen@gmail.com
>> <mailto:quanxunzhen@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     I just notice a conflict between the CSS Ruby spec and the sections
>> related to ruby in the HTML5 spec.
>>
>>     The HTML5 spec of both WHATWG and W3C version say that
>> improperly-contained inner ruby elements should represent their
>>     children (Including that <rp> should not be hidden). [1][2]
>>
>>     However, the CSS Ruby specifies the display value unconditionally to
>> those tags in the default stylesheet [3], and
>>     requires generating proper parents for those elements [4].
>>
>>     I guess the easiest way to fix this conflict is changing the default
>> stylesheet to meet the HTML5 spec.
>>

>> But one problem I'm concerned about changing the default stylesheet is
>> that, if we change it to something like "ruby > rb {
>> display: ruby-base; }" then the author would be confused when he wants to
>> override the rule. Simple rule like "rb { display:
>> inline; }" won't have any effect.

> It's much more convenient to type.

I agree, but HTML spec guys don't seem to agree with us :)

> But to match HTML, specificity in the UA style sheet has no effect
> wrt author rules, so changing the rules won't be a problem. I'll
> update the spec. Let me know if it seems correct.

It looks fine, but shouldn't we also prefix
"ruby, rb, rt, rbc, rtc { unicode-bidi: isolate; }", and
"rtc:lang(zh-TW), rt:lang(zh-TW) { font-size: 25%; }"?

Leaving "rtc:lang(zh), rt:lang(zh) { ruby-align: center; }" not to start
with "ruby >" is probably fine, though it could cause confusing behavior in
some cases.

And why did you change the font-size for bopomofo from 30% to 25%?

- Xidorn