From: bokan@google.com [mailto:bokan@google.com] On Behalf Of David Bokan
Sent: Tuesday, February 17, 2015 4:41 PM
To: www-style@w3.org
Cc: Matt Rakow; Christiansen, Kenneth R; Rune Lillesveen
Subject: [css-device-adaptation] Progress?

As far as I can tell this spec hasn't made any progress in well over a year. Is there any interest in moving this forward and out of ED? IE already mostly (fully?) supports this through @-ms-viewport and I think we'd be interested in shipping this in Chrome as well.

All desktop browsers now support pinch-zoom but there's currently no way to limit/disable it (try pinch-zooming on Google Maps before the touch handlers are registered to see why this is a problem). I can't see a path where we could enable the viewport <meta> on the desktop since it would break a large chunk of the web. @viewport looks to me like the best way forward to give authors a rational way to control the viewport across the entirety of the web.

I'm happy to help out here in any way I can.

Thanks,
David