Re: [css-flexbox] few change/addition prepositions

On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 11:45 PM, Robert Koritnik
<robert.koritnik@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed Feb 11 2015 at 10:30:19 PM Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
> wrote:> Thanks for your time for clearing few things up.
>
>> flex-direction is defined with "logical" axis names (as opposed to
>> "physical" ones) on purpose; generally, if you want a "row" flexbox
>> you want it to flow in the same direction as text.  That's horizontal
>> on English pages, but vertical on, for example, Japanese pages.
>>
>> The direction within the axis is also relative to the language of the
>> page (more precisely, to the 'writing-mode' of the flex container) -
>> in English "row" causes items to flow left-to-right, same as text, but
>> in an Arabic page the same value flows right-to-left, same as Arabic
>> text.
>

> That makes perfect sense
> and horizontal/vertical wouldn't work. But the same reason why
> horizontal/vertical can't work is why row/column can't either. They also
> imply certain direction. I'm no Japanese speaker, but shouldn't
> "row" and "column" in Japanese mean
> something unrelated to writing direction and the same as in latin writing
> world?

Depends on the context.  Tables, for example, are rotated in vertical
text, so that rows are vertical and columns are horizontal.  Same with
the Grid Layout spec.  In general, CSS things that talk about "rows"
and "columns" do rotate based on the writing mode, so the use of the
terms in Flexbox is consistent.

>> Better control of flex wrapping is planned, and will show up in either
>> the CSS Break specification or Flexbox Level 2.
>
> Right. Is there a draft of these anywhere?

Break is at <http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-break/>.  (You can see all
CSS drafts at <http://dev.w3.org/csswg/>.)  Flexbox Level 2 has not
yet been written.