Re: [selectors] Previous-sibling combinator?

On Wed, 11 Feb 2015 14:54:07 -0800Benjamin Poulain <benjamin@webkit.org> wrote:

> On 2/11/15 2:43 PM, Liam R E Quin wrote:
> > On Thu, 12 Feb 2015 08:24:03 +1100

> > To some extent it's better to give people enough rope to tie themselves up and have fun^H^H^Hproblems, better to have completeness, than to have something incomplete where people spend ages publishing weird workarounds that end up even more tangled.

[...]

> The problem is doing efficient style invalidation. You don't want a
> single selector to invalidate giant subtrees every time any of its
> element changes.

It'll still be more efficient to have the browser do it than to do it in jQuery I expect, and opens up more Web functionality to more people. But it's a difference of philosophy, whether you go for completeness or for a subset of functionality.

I'm not sure how previous-sibling opens up the worst-case scenario you hint at, nor how common that would be. "parent" is another matter.

Best,

Liam

The barefoot typographer