Re: [css-ruby] ruby annotation with identical fragments

On 01/22/2015 05:58 PM, Xidorn Quan wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 10, 2015 at 6:19 AM, Célian Veyssière <contact@celian.eu <mailto:contact@celian.eu>> wrote:
>  >
>  > Is there something planned for automatic cutting fragments and to hide identical hiragana to avoid this ?
>
> We can only do the second. And in my opinion, it is better that you split them as much as possible, so that it can be styled
> more flexible. So, for your example, I think it is better to write:
>
> <ruby>
> </ruby>

What Xidorn writes is correct. The spec requires hiding of text when it is identical to the base.

> For this case, I would suggest the css-text spec to add hiragana and katakana to text-transform, and apply this property on
> the annotation. So, might be something like:
>
> <ruby>
> </ruby>
>
> I guess it probably makes more sense.

I think it doesn't make sense to provide a ruby annotation if it's only *styled* differently. :)

So I don't think this is a case we can solve; the author has to hide it manually.

~fantasai