Re: CSS Localization

On Sat, Jan 31, 2015 at 2:38 AM, Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net> wrote:
> * Cameron Jones wrote:
>>Current browser compatibility charts would seem to disagree:
>>
>>http://www.quirksmode.org/html5/inputs.html
>
> The browsers tested there are releases from around three years ago (IE
> 10, Opera 11, Firefox 10, Safari for Windows, and so on).

Ahh, yes - it looks like "caniuse" is a better resource:

http://caniuse.com/#feat=input-datetime

The data is largely the same which shows how little movement there has
been with form input implementations.

The Chrome implementation which does exist is unlocalized which is
what the "intent to implement" is pertaining to.

There is a broader open question of whether the concept of using the
browser locale is even the right thing to do.

If we consider that the browser locale is advertised in the HTTP
Accept-Language header and the server has responded with a resource in
a different locale then the application of the browser locale over
form inputs can be considered not in terms of localization, but as
partial translation.

The net effect of this partial translation is that there is no longer
any way for a site to render a page in a non-browser locale. This is
what incurs the requirement to provide a locale override which means
we now have to deal with 3 locales - the page locale, the browser
locale and the override locale.

Perhaps it should be considered if 'partial translation' is really a
feature which should be promoted?

The i18n group has this on its list of open questions so i would urge
anyone interested to contribute their thoughts to the discussions on
their mailing list.

Thanks,
Cameron